Sunday, October 25, 2020

Togetherness

 


Ephesians 5:19-20. NRSV

. . .sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, singing and making melody to the Lord in your hearts, 20 giving thanks to God the Father at all times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.


How appropriate for this reading to show up in one of my daily devotional readings on a Sunday.  Worship will begin online in just a few minutes and I do so look forward to it!  I can calm my heart and mind during the gathering music, be welcomed into the worship space along with everyone else, open my heart for the prayer, hear the scripture read, watch the sermon, share communion with everyone, hear a call to discipleship and accept the blessing as we prepare to return to our regular activities.  And I get to sing - or to just listen, because the Quarantine Qrew sings so beautifully that sometimes listening to them touches my heart even more than if I was singing.  In short, I get to worship.


That might not seem like a big deal, but you see, I don’t get to worship like that when we meet in person.  Leaving aside the busyness of writing and prep before worship begins, I am busy throughout the entire service. Even when I am not actually speaking I’m watching what is going on in the entire building. I’m counting bodies for our records - because we have to keep track of attendance.  I’m paying attention to who either hasn’t shown up recently or has become more regular in their attendance, who has changed their usual seat, what the sound guys are doing, whether the presider is picking up on their cues, where the Elder is that’s supposed to run around with the microphone for announcements and prayer requests, and keeping a very close eye on those little children who are trying to light the candles on the Table.  During silent prayer time, I am listening to footsteps walking back from lighting candles so I don’t end the silence too soon.  


Understand - I am not complaining.  I love what I do.  But as I rarely get the opportunity to be part of a worshipping congregation, I can forget how good it feels to be part of the body of Christ at worship. If nothing else good comes out of the pandemic, these last several months of being able to participate in worship every Sunday just like everyone else have been a huge blessing for me.  


Great and Holy God, I lift up my voice in gratitude and thanksgiving for the opportunity to worship you, to sing your songs and share the meal at your Table together with the whole body of Christ, even though we are not physically together.  May this feeling of community continue even after we return to our buildings.   In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: