Saturday, September 26, 2020

Thy Word

Psalm 78:1
My people, hear my teaching;

    listen to the words of my mouth.


My first reaction to this sentence today was a snarky remark.  I will definitely be hearing words today. I’ll be listening to words for 3 hours during a virtual Annual Gathering of the Christian Church in Northern California/Nevada.  There will be reports and words and business items and more words.  I am so glad I don’t have to drive anywhere, but bummed that I won’t be able to see and hug all my friends.  


It seems like life is a series of “ooh, I like that part. . .but not so much that other part.” Or like a box of chocolates.  But at least with a box of chocolates you can pick the next one with a fair idea from the shape of the candy what sort it will probably be.  We can’t always choose the outcomes of the random events life brings us with any degree of accuracy. 


Who knew that there would be so much good to come out of Covid19 and the resulting shelter in place orders?  A lot of bad stuff, yes.  But it’s also forcing us to reach out harder to keep everyone connected with the congregation.  It has shown us the gaps in “All means ALL”.  Video worship means more people can be connected while at the same time some people who were at church services regularly can’t connect, so we have to work harder to connect them.  We were forced to step WAY outside our comfort zones to do things we never pictured ourselves doing.  Those of us who can work from home have found ourselves overwhelmed, overworked, and overstressed and have FINALLY started paying attention to the oft repeated suggestions that we take some time for ourselves so we don’t burn out.  


In my case, I started getting serious about taking Monday as Sabbath Day a few months ago.  Then I instituted a new thing yesterday called “No Distraction Writing Day” because I kept having trouble getting all the things that needed to be recorded written ahead of time.  Only checked email once in the morning and then again when my writing was done.  No Facebook or Messenger.  It felt very strange to know when I woke up today that I didn’t have a deadline looming over me, because the stressful part was already done.  I did take many hours longer than usual to get the sermon to turn out ok, and I was whupped when I finished so I never did get to the Daily Journal.  *sigh* Regardless, I think this will be a good thing for me, and for the church.  It gives me the opportunity to focus solely on the Word without distraction from outside.  


Among the words out of God’s mouth was love your neighbor as you love yourself.  It seems to me that Covid19 has given us new opportunities to love, to share of ourselves, to reach out and to care for ourselves in ways we never did before.


Lord of Words, your words have given us direction, encouragement, and comfort.  They have energized us and provoked us to action.  May we be committed to listening to and learning from your Word, and then acting on what we have learned.  Amen.

No comments: