Thursday, March 26, 2020

30 New Days - Day 10

The 10th  day of a 30 day devotional Bible Study by the Rev. Tracy A. Siegman, Senior Pastor FCC, Covington, KY.  Shared with her gracious permission.

If you read the suggested passage each day, by the end of 30 days you will have read the entire New Testament.

Day 10

30-day reading plan: Luke 19 - 24
Daily Verse: Luke 22: 19
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

There is a church in Lexington, Ky that has a cross hanging above the Communion Table made of broken pieces of stained glass. It reminds me of the broken bread and the broken body of Jesus upon the cross. I don’t know if that was the intention of the one who made the cross or if other people in worship see it that way, but that’s how I see it.

I looked at that cross many times while taking communion as I worshipped in that community. It called me to reflection on my brokenness and the brokenness of all those around me. Abuse, neglect, illness, addiction, failed relationships, unemployment, disatisfying work, difficult studies, barely making ends meet, racism, sexism, injustice and inequality are among many things that leave us feeling broken into pieces and leaving our hearts aching and minds at unease.

Looking at the cross of broken pieces of glass hanging above the Table as I took bread and juice assured me that at the Table a broken people are pieced back together by grace into a work of art. There is still evidence of our brokenness but what God fashions of our pieces is lovely and beautiful.

On the last night that Jesus gathered around a table with His friends, He shared the Passover meal and drew the attention of His dinner companions to the bread and wine of the meal. He said to eat the bread in remembrance of His broken body to tell us that He understands brokenness and knows God’s ability to piece us back together.

Question for reflection:
What kind of grace do you think the Lord’s Supper offers you?

No comments: