Thursday, May 28, 2020

Lead me, guide me


Psalm 33:20-22   (CEB)

We put our hope in the Lord.
    He is our help and our shield.

Our heart rejoices in God
    because we trust his holy name.

Lord, let your faithful love surround us
    because we wait for you
.




When I wake up in the morning, after I remove whatever cat is standing on top of me complaining they are starving but before I get out of bed, I pray this prayer:


Take my will and my life

Guide me in my recovery

Show me how to live.


I’ve been praying that same prayer every morning for over 30 years.  It helps me focus and, like the Serenity Prayer, it reminds me that I am not in charge of everything today. I am, in fact, only in charge of my own thoughts, words, actions and reactions.  So while I might get angry at people or situations, acting out and speaking intemperately will not help the situation, or even make me feel better afterward.  I trust God to help me find the best response, the most loving response.  I have learned it is best not to speak until I have had a chance to consider my response with a “what would God want me to do?” mindset. I don’t always do that well, but I do try.  There is no sense in making a bad situation worse by lashing out in fear or anger. 


I pray that prayer because it reminds me that I can trust God, because God loves me and will shield my soul from harm.  Stuff will happen that might cause physical harm or emotional harm, but my soul will be well as long as I continue to put my hope in the Lord, as long as I trust God to guide my choices.  Because I know these things, I am able to rejoice in God even on days when it seems there is nothing to rejoice about.  I am able to make a gratitude list even on days when I might start out thinking I have nothing to be grateful for.  When I remember to let God take charge of my will and my life I am able to feel God’s love all around me. 


I pray that prayer so that I may live this Psalm.


Holy and loving God, lead us in the ways you would have us go, so that we may always be acting according to your will, not our own.  Amen.




No comments: