Sunday, November 8, 2020

Hasten to me, O God.

 


Psalm 70:4-5

4 Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you. Let those who love your salvation say evermore, "God is great!"

5 But I am poor and needy; hasten to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay!


There were 43 new cases of Covid19 in Selma this past week.


This whole pandemic thing has me way too stressed out today.  I was in a meeting where we were discussing going back to in-person worship and in-person committee meetings and the entire time I was freaking out.  I’ve still only been out of the house a few times since mid-March - 3 times for church stuff and once to the doctor.  The doctor is happy I am staying home and sending someone to the store for me because she knows what shape my lungs are in.  I want to go back to in-person worship - and sing! - as much as anyone, but I don’t want to be in danger and I don’t want anyone else to be endangered.  I am quite sure that the people who are most vulnerable will be the first ones in the door, even though they are the last ones who should show up.


I am poor and needy; hasten to me, O God!  You are my help and my deliverer.”


I know all the sayings about worrying and faith.  And truly, if I could just stay inside - if ALL of the people at most risk would just stay inside and follow the guidelines we have been given by the California Department of Health and Dr. Fauci I would be fine.  I would not have any worries.  But it is so hard not to worship in community, and not to be the person leading that worship.  


People say, “Well, it seems like it should be safe if we do thus and so.” Perhaps.  But I think that if we have to ask whether something is safe it probably is not.  


I am poor and needy; hasten to me, O God!  You are my help and my deliverer.”


So we will worship in person during Advent and thereafter, God willing and the Covid cases in Fresno County don’t rise.  I will continue to attend meetings by Zoom or Facetime.  I will work on my worries and fears, knowing that God is great.  And knowing that no matter what, we will be ok.  


God, you are great and worthy of all praise.  You are my help and my deliverer, my fortress and my rock.  May my fears be eased through the touch of your hand, and may my heart know peace through your son, Jesus the Christ. Amen.




No comments: