Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Peace is . . .


Romans 14:19. NIV

Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification


I have wondered now and again why it is that only one Sunday each year is specifically focused on peace.  It would seem to me that peace should be a constant focus for Christians.  After all, one of the titles we give to the Christ is Prince of Peace.  


Peace is not an easy thing.  Even if all peace meant was “the absence of war,” there has rarely, if ever, been peace everywhere in the world at the same time.  Even during the Pax Romana, the only reason the world was at “peace” was that the Legions were always deployed on active duty.  


But peace means so much more than “absence of war.” Peace is a state of mind and heart which is not all that easy to accomplish, much like serenity.  Even those saints with a reputation for being calm and serene at all times have their moments.  Consider Mary, the mother of Jesus.  Every image of her we have ever seen portrays a woman radiating peace and humility.  We almost never think of the Mary who, upon finally finding her missing son hanging out in the Temple said, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.” I suspect her demeanor was something other than calm at that moment.  It is impossible to imagine her heart being at peace while she and Joseph searched for her beloved son.  


It isn’t too hard to feel peaceful when everything is going well.   If I am sitting at my desk reading Christian Century magazine, enjoying my rosemary scented candles, and all the cats are asleep where I can see them peace is easy.  But when I am up against a deadline or doing the last minute prep for any event or waiting for an answer to an important question, peace is a bit harder.  Sometimes I find myself in a situation that reminds me of previous situations that did not go well for me.  In those cases peace of mind is pretty nearly impossible.  


Let us make every effort to do what leads to peace.”  Sometimes I simply have to stop whatever it is I am doing for a moment, take myself out of the moment, and breathe.   Sometimes that is all it takes. Sometimes the Serenity Prayer helps.  I have been in meetings that are getting contentious and just before the feelings get out of hand I hear someone say, “Let us pray.”  Taking that moment to pray and allow a moment of calm to enter the room brings a bit of peace to those present.  


Let us make every effort to do what leads to. . . . mutual edification.”  Sometimes we just need more information to end a disagreement.  Making the effort to listen to one another with a desire to find points of mutual agreement creates peace.  


Gracious God, it isn’t easy to find peace in our world today.  May we work at willingness to listen to one another for points of likeness.  May we also take a moment to breathe and pray, putting aside anxieties and worries so that we might find peace of heart and mind.  Amen.

No comments: