Wednesday, December 2, 2020

‘Tis the season . . .

Acts 11:29 (NIV) 

The disciples, as each one was able, decided to provide help for the brothers and sisters living in Judea.  


It is the season when my mail box, my email inbox, and my voice mail are filled with pleas for money.  Well, to be honest, because it is an election year that season began months ago.  But traditionally, the huge influx of begging letters from non-profit agencies, educational institutions, and church ministries starts right after Thanksgiving and gets more intense the closer we come to the December 31st deadline.  Mind you, that deadline has everything to do with the IRS and very little, if anything, to do with when the agency in question requires financial support.   One of the regular features of these pleas is the line, “Can you give $ (some specific amount) now?”.  Then there are a number of lines of higher amounts you might select.  Way down further on the page will be a line saying “other amount” so you can fill in the blank.  The assumption is that the first suggested amount is affordable for everyone.  


“...as each one was able...”. I used to really hate getting these letters.  I could barely get my bills paid, never mind giving money to all these charities.  I felt so guilty, because I really care about these agencies and I really want to help.  But when you are trying to decide which bill to pay this month, or going to the church food pantry for groceries it is difficult to give where my heart wants me to.   Even giving to the church was a challenge, and I wasn’t anywhere close to being able to tithe the full 10% of my income.  For the last few years I have been in a much better financial position and have been able to give much more generously, but for the longest time I could not.  And I hated that.


“...as each one was able...”  I used to feel so guilty that I could not give to the Church in any substantial way.  (The story of the widow’s mite didn’t help at all - she gave everything she had!  I couldn’t do that.)   Somehow I must have missed this particular verse from Acts that made it clear not everyone can give in the same way, and that this is perfectly ok.  


“...as each one was able...” On Sundays we are always invited to give generously as we are able in whatever manner we can.  Money is always good, but not everyone has money to give.  Talents and gifts are great, but not everyone thinks they have a talent or gift that can help the church. Time spent volunteering is excellent, but if you have a job or two and family to care for, you might very well not have any time.  Prayer . . . prayer is always good, can be done at any time, does not require any particular gifts, and costs nothing.  Anyone and everyone can pray for the Church, and for all of those other charitable organizations that we really want to help.  Prayer is much more powerful than we might believe.  Maybe my prayers will nudge a person who can afford to give money, time, or talents to make that donation instead of just thinking about it.


Generous God, I wish I could give to all of the agencies and issues that I care about.  I know that is not reality today, so I will be grateful that I can give as I am able.  Help me to remember that even a small gift is helpful, and that prayer is always a welcome gift.  Amen.







No comments: