Friday, October 23, 2020

Is this too hard?


 James 2:8. NRSV

You do well if you really fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”


I read four meditations daily, as well as the readings listed for each day in Bible Gateway and the Revised Common Lectionary.  That probably sounds like a lot, but most are emailed to me and the RCL is bookmarked in my internet browser, so settling down to read them doesn’t require any great effort on my part.  Paying attention to what I am reading is a little harder, especially if I haven’t had enough coffee yet.   As I read through each one I pay attention to what resonates with my spirit on that day.  Sometimes I am amazed that some seem to be on the same theme, or follow another one from earlier in the week perfectly. This week it has been like that every day.  The readings from my 12 Step meditation book have been in harmony with one or more of the Bible based readings every day.  The theme has centered around our love for God, our willingness to surrender to God’s will, and loving one another by caring for each other.


It was in 12 Step meetings that I first learned it is possible - and necessary - to love everyone else, even if I didn’t like them.  That was kind of a hard concept to wrap my mind around, and took a while to really grasp.  It began by simply wanting the good for every other person in the room.  “I might argue with you today, but if you need help tomorrow I will be there.”.  I could do that.  It was a little more difficult to extend that to people who had harmed me or others - abusive (ex)husbands, serial killers, rapists . . .  That is a LOT more difficult.  Doable, but difficult.  I knew a man who used to pray daily for Charles Manson and I just didn’t get it for the longest time.


Right now there is such anger and division in our country.  Trying to speak lovingly of other people, especially people with whom we disagree and whose reaction to us is violent in speech or action - this is hard.  It is hard to not respond in kind.  Praying for them to have all the good things we desire - peace of heart, compassion, open-mindedness, joy, love - taxes our abilities and our willingness.  But this week has been all about willingness to do God’s will, loving God, loving the other.  So we must extend love to even those we might consider enemies.  And that love is still based in the idea that I might argue with you today, but if you need help tomorrow I will be there.  


You do well if you really fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”


Loving God, it is hard to really love the neighbor.  It is hard to want someone who has hurt us to receive blessings.  But this is your command and your law, and I want to do your will.  Help me, I pray, learn to love in this way.  Amen


No comments: