Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Ooh, Shiny!

Proverbs 3:3 (NIV)

Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
    bind them around your neck,
    write them on the tablet of your heart
.


I am having a very scatter headed morning.  I overslept.  My routine was disrupted.  I can’t seem to focus on the things I should be doing - like writing this journal post.  I am not particularly thrilled with any of the suggested scripture readings I normally select from.  I am even finding myself focusing more on the way my rosemary scented candle is burning than on my reading and meditation.  


 As a result, when I read this verse from Proverbs, instead of meditating on it I immediately went on Amazon.com to find the words Love and Faith in big wood block letters to use as decorations in my house.  Definitely not focusing where I am “supposed to” this morning.   


While doing those very disconnected things I kept reaching for the charms on my necklace and rubbing them between my fingers.  One is a Celtic cross.  The other is the symbol of a 12 Step Program.  These two things help me ground myself, and remind me who it is that I am.  They remind me of the journey that has brought me this far, and why I do not want to go back the way I came.  They remind me to be grateful for everything in my life today, and to take a moment to thank God.  Even on really scatter headed days. Maybe especially on scatter headed days.


Bind them around your neck.  I almost never take this necklace off, and on those rare occasions when I do I can’t wait to put it back on again.  I need the reminder of who I am and whose I am that I get every time I touch them throughout the day.  These two charms may not literally be the words love and faithfulness, but those are the qualities that resonate in my heart when I hold them between my fingers. 


Loving and faithful God, may we always find ways to recall to ourselves your steadfast and faithful love toward us, your scatter headed children.  Amen 

No comments: