Thursday, June 18, 2020

The Answer

Psalm 69:16-17. NRSV


Answer me, O Lord, for your steadfast love is good, 

according to your abundant mercy, turn to me.

Do not hide your face from your servant, 

for I am in distress — make haste to answer me.


There is just way too much going on right now, and I am stressed and distressed.  Hurry up, God,  and tell me what to do next.  Tell me everything is going to be alright.  Tell me all will be well.  Answer me, God!


I tell myself that all will be well.  I quote Julian of Norwich to myself, “All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.”  I know that all will be well, no matter what.  But I can’t always feel that all will be well.  


When there is just so much going on and so much noise coming from every direction to contend with, so many issues striving for my attention, I have a hard time feeling that peace of heart I keep praying for everyone else to have.  I remember one day, probably about 20 years ago, that I called a friend and said to her, “Please tell me that this too, shall pass.  I know it’s true, but I am having trouble believing myself when I say it.”  All I really needed was for someone else to confirm what I already knew.  I just needed someone else to say it.


“I am in distress — make haste to answer me.”   


I believe that God’s answers come in many guises.  I have seen answers on billboards, in books, and in natural phenomenon - something as simple as a flower, or a feather on the sidewalk.   I often receive answers through other people - in a card that shows up out of the blue, a text or email from someone I haven’t talked to in a while, or just a comment during a conversation.  God’s answers often come from unexpected places, and always just exactly when I need to have the answer.  That is not necessarily the same as when I want to have the answer.  It’s one of those “in God’s time, not mine” things.  


Today is one of those days when I really want answers right this minute. I want God to tell me what to say and what to do, what decisions to make.   Just write it on the wall, Lord, like you did for Daniel.  OK? 


Loving God, I know you have all the answers.  I know that I will get my answers when I need them, not one minute sooner, and probably from a totally unexpected source.  Help me to know that all will be well, no matter what, because I am in your hands.  Amen.








No comments: