Sunday, June 7, 2020

Time has come today

Genesis 1:1-2. NRSV

In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.


Today’s reading from Genesis is quite long, the entire story of the Creation.  Usually I keep reading past the first verse and marvel at all the wonderful things God did in the creation of the universe.  Usually I will read through to when God created humankind, both male and female, in God’s own image.  Today, I only read as far as this - In the beginning . . .


One of the readings that comes to my inbox periodically is something called “Daily Zen,” which consists mostly of poetry by Zen Buddhists. The person who posts the poems doesn’t do so every single day, but I understand how life can get in the way.  Sometimes those readings speak to me, and sometimes not so much. But the other day the post struck me so much that I saved it.  It is not a thought I had previously encountered in Buddhist writings, but is pretty much foundational for Christians.  


Something has existed before Heaven and earth; 

Shapeless and silent In its origin, 

Yet the master of every Image and form, 

It can never wither With the passing of time.

                            Bankei (1622-1693)


God existed before heaven and earth, master of every image and form, and will continue to exist for all eternity.  God existed before the beginning.


Eternity is a concept that is too hard to even try to wrap my mind around.  I understand the passage of time, but I do not understand a time before time, or a time without time, or a time after the end of time.  But as time is a function of the passage of our planet around the sun, there will come a time when time ceases to exist - but God will continue.  No wonder a thousand years is like a day for God - time is inconsequential to an eternal being.  


Eternal God, master of heaven and earth and time, we bow before you.  All praise and honor and glory belong to you.  Amen.

No comments: