Thursday, July 2, 2020

Knee bent and body bowed

Psalm 145:8, 14.  CEB

8    “The Lord is merciful and compassionate,

    very patient, and full of faithful love.

14 

The Lord supports all who fall down,

    straightens up all who are bent low.


Someone asked me yesterday, “How are you holding up?”  I responded, “I’m ok.  Some days are better than others, just like everyone else.”   Today started out as one of those other days.  The news is so disturbing. Covid cases are rising so quickly here in Selma - 50 new cases in the last 4 days!  People I know are catching it.  Some members of the congregation I serve are working in very risky occupations.  I just felt powerless and dejected.  There are too many stories to pay attention to, too many voices to listen to.  All I wanted was to go back to bed.


I did all the things that usually pick me up. My morning prayer.  My gratitude list.  A comfort-food breakfast (Fried Spam, scrambled eggs, and buttered grits - yum).  Dressing in red and black.  Freshly brewed coffee.  None of those things worked - not even the coffee.  *sigh*


Then I  looked at the scripture readings for today and I saw this psalm about God’s goodness and steadfast love, trustworthiness and faithfulness. My eyes rested on verse 14, “The Lord supports all who fall down, straightens up all who are bent low.”  And I realized that, right this minute, I am one of those who are bent low.


God is always patient with me, allowing me to just keep on keeping on until I can’t any more.  When I can no longer hold myself up, God’s love is a cane, a support I can lean on.  God holds me up until I have regained my strength, and then steps back, watching over me as I continue on my way.  Always God speaks to me - often through others.  


A few weeks ago, Rev. Nadia Bolz-Weber posted a plea on Facebook for pastors to take a few days Sabbath time, and for congregations to support them in this.  Most of us, like me, cancelled our regularly scheduled vacations in the face of the pandemic and the constant changes and challenges facing our congregations.  After she posted I started seeing colleagues taking her recommendation.  One after another signed off for a few days of Sabbath time.  Then Toni Bynum, our Regional Minister, took a few days. Then Rev. Teri Hord Owens, our General Minister and President, took a few days.  Now I think I need to follow their example, and take a few days of Sabbath rest.  


So this is what I shall do.  Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week - July 6-8 - I will take some Sabbath time.  You might think of it as a vacation, or a private retreat.  It will be time spent letting God hold me up while I rest up - time with no email, no Facebook, no Twitter, no Zoom, no group chats.   Just me and the cats.  And books.  And naps.


Compassionate and loving God, thank you for always being there, to catch me when I fall, to hold me up when I lack the strength to support myself.  May I be wise enough to listen when you speak, so that I might do your will in all things.  Amen.

No comments: