Sunday, July 12, 2020

Singing solo

Psalm 92:1-4

It is good to give thanks to the Lord,

    to sing praises to your name, O Most High;

to declare your steadfast love in the morning,

    and your faithfulness by night,

to the music of the lute and the harp,

    to the melody of the lyre.

For you, O Lord, have made me glad by your work;

    at the works of your hands I sing for joy.


It is Sunday, the Lord’s Day.  Today we will gather for worship - not in body but definitely in spirit.  We will gather in our individual homes around our individual computers, tablets, smart phones, and smart TVs to watch and listen as a variety of people from our congregation offer worship to God.  One of the high points, as always in our congregation, is the singing.


Four young people - Jorge, Kenneshae, Jessica, and Joe - each record their part at their own homes.  Then Jordan takes all those recordings and puts them together so it sounds like they are singing as a group.They all have beautiful voices and when those voices come together it is glorious!   When we watch the worship service we don’t see the singers, but the words to each hymn so we can sing along.  I must confess that, since we have started pre-recording everything, more often than not I just listen, basking in the sound of their song.   


It is good to give thanks to the Lord.  At the works of your hands I sing for joy.  


I know I should be singing. I love to sing!  Joe told me recently that he really doesn’t feel as if he has worshipped if he cannot sing.  I can understand that.  When I lift up my voice in a hymn, I am more fully participating in the service.  I am no longer “just” part of the congregation, I am an integral part of the worship.  I cease to be an audience and become a worshipper.


Right now, singing is dangerous.  Singing in public - with other people around - is dangerous.  In California right now there is a State wide ban on singing in worship.  We aren’t even allowed to have a soloist or cantor!  Instrumental music only, or a music video - but no singing at all. Because singing is dangerous.  The droplets from our breath that carry the virus travel farther when we are singing, or preaching.   


So we sing at home, giving thanks to the Lord for all that we receive.  We lift our voices in song, glorifying and magnifying the name of our God.  We sing as a congregation, even though separated from one another, joining in with the Quarantine Qrew as their harmonies reach to the heavens.  For the Lord has made us glad by the work of his hands, and we sing our thanks and praise.


Holy God, even though I might not want to sing alone, still I will lift my voice to you in worship, giving thanks and offering you my everything.  For everything I am comes from you, and I am grateful.  Amen.





No comments: