Friday, August 21, 2020

Beautiful feet

 

Isaiah 52:7 (NIV)

How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!” 


I was raised in a very strict religious household.  We attended church services of some kind at least 3 times a week, not counting required weekly classes on Christian doctrine beginning in first grade.  I learned about sins, beliefs, and practices.  I memorized prayers and responses and lots of rules.  Before my confirmation at age 12 I learned the things that children learn and everything was fine.  I even wanted to devote my life to a religious vocation.  Once I got to junior high, however, the things I learned in those classes changed.  I questioned the teachings about things I was supposed to believe just because I was told to believe them.  I started having a hard time reconciling the God who insisted on perfection in order for me to enter heaven, punishing even the tiniest offenses, and the Jesus who warmly welcomed sinners to his table.  But I wasn’t allowed to ask about these things, or talk about my doubts.  At age 18 I left the church, angry and bitter over the things I had been taught to believe, but totally convinced that all of those things were true.  I believed that it didn’t matter what I did, because God was going to punish me no matter what I did, so I did as I pleased.


20 years later I started attending 12 Step meetings.  The people there taught me about a Higher Power who loved and cared for me and for all persons.  My sponsor Maggie was very gentle in her teaching, believing it is better to plant seeds than to hit someone over the head with the shovel.  Within a few years my understanding of God and my relationship with God had changed so much that I sought and found a church where my new understandings were embraced - Treasure Coast Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).  Pastor Betsy also believed in planting seeds and nurturing faith, encouraging me to do things I had never done nor thought of doing - like teaching Vacation Bible School.  Within a couple of years I set off on a journey toward the ordained ministry - a vocation quite different from the one I had considered as a child, but a vocation to serve God nonetheless.


I celebrate the beautiful faith of the people who brought me the good news  of God’s love and peace, of forgiveness and grace - especially Maggie and Betsy.  They climbed the mountain of my pain and hurt to bring me God’s peace and proclaim salvation.  God put them in my life to proclaim God’s reign of mercy and justice for all of God’s children - and through their help, I believe. 


Gracious and loving God, thank you for all of the people who taught me to know your grace and your love.  May I carry the Good News as beautifully as they did, so that some might come to know of your love through me.   Amen.

No comments: