Tuesday, August 11, 2020

I can do anything

 1 Corinthians 10:23 (NIV)

I have the right to do anything,” you say — but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything” — but not everything is constructive.


We hear this sentiment a lot.  “Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.”   Who knew this wisdom was Biblical?   Well, I’m sure lots of people did, but I didn’t.  Sometimes the things I think are Biblical are actually from Poor Richard’s Almanac and vice versa.  


I believe it is common for people to believe that the things they do only affect them, not others.  For example, I was one of those people who fought long and hard against the motorcycle helmet law.  I didn’t mind wearing one, mind you. I just didn’t want to be told I had to wear one.  We figured “It’s our heads.  If we are injured it doesn’t hurt anyone else.”  Everyone knew that it was the insurance companies who were pushing for it just so they could make higher profits.  I eventually realized that the more the insurance company had to pay out, the higher everyone’s premiums would be.   I certainly had the right to endanger myself, but that small act of defiance on my part could put everyone else at risk.  


This is the entirety of the mask or no mask argument.  Some people say that no one has the right to tell them they must wear masks - which is absolutely true - while others insist that wearing a mask is for the protection of everyone you come in contact with - which is also true.  The question each of us must answer is whether or not our action is beneficial to others.


Me, I can’t go out anyway.  I am over 65, have asthma and COPD so I have to avoid contact with humans, whether or not they are wearing masks. I have started to wear one when I answer the door because not everyone who knocks stands back from the door, and not everyone who comes to my door wears a mask, and I am afraid. 


I have the right to do as I please, but if I am to act with love toward others, I need to try to protect them from harm by considering the well being of others before I act.  So I wore a helmet when I rode, I use a seatbelt in the car, and I keep a mask by the door - because I love you.


Loving God, we know everything we do affects someone else, although we don’t always remember that. Help us to always make the choices that will show love for others.  Amen.

No comments: