Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Rise up

 


Isaiah 28:18b-19a. NIV

When the overwhelming scourge sweeps by,

    you will be beaten down by it.

19 As often as it comes it will carry you away;

    morning after morning, by day and by night,

    it will sweep through.”


Lectio Divina is a method of reading Scripture in order to allow feelings and emotional responses to arise.  It has nothing really to do with study or understanding the intended meaning and historical/cultural context of any particular passage. It is more like “What words hit you in the heart when you read this passage?”    As I was reading through the lectionary selections for this morning, these few words from Isaiah made me stop and take a breath. 


The overwhelming scourge could be any number of things happening in the world right now.  Depression.  Fear of contracting Covid.  Loneliness.  Fear of economic insecurity.  Worries for our family’s health and well being.  News of the divided nature of our nation, the hatred and anger between political parties, racism and all the other isms that separate us.  When it comes to mind - morning, evening, daytime or night - it carries us away.   When that happens usually I go straight to the Serenity Prayer and repeat it as needed.  (Turning off the news and Facebook also helps.)  But sometimes I find this meditation is even more helpful.  


May I be happy.

May I be peaceful.

May I be free.


May my friends be happy.

May my friends be peaceful.

May my friends be free.


May my enemies be happy.

May my enemies be peaceful.

May my enemies be free.


May all beings be happy.

May all beings be peaceful.

May all beings be free.


As I read I breathe slowly and rhythmically and often find that these words of loving compassion make the overwhelming scourge becomes less overwhelming with each verse.  It loses its power over me, at least for a while.  I can rise up and go on.


Compassionate God, sometimes it’s just hard.  Sometimes everything just seems overwhelming.  May your blessings of happiness, peace and freedom fall upon us and all of creation, easing our burdens.  Amen.


No comments: