Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Tuesday morning

 

Romans 15:13. NRSV 

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.


Tuesday morning is quickly becoming my favorite time of the week.  I take Monday off and do as little as I possibly can that requires use of my brain.  Because,you see, by Sunday evening I am pretty much done.  I am weary.  I have worries.  I have a list of tasks that feels like a rival to Santa’s list.  I feel like I will never be able to write one more word.  When I waken on Monday morning I am just as weary as when I went to bed Sunday evening.  So on Monday I don’t open my church email or Facebook, Messenger, or any other social media sites.  I don’t even walk into my home office.  I do some housework, read light fiction, play mindless games on my iPad, and cuddle with the cats.  I might or might not take a nap.  Sometimes I color.  This week I ordered a pizza so I didn’t even have to cook dinner (or wash dishes!).  


Mind you, it takes effort to turn my mind away from work stuff.  I will find myself thinking about a meeting or a task I have to do, and have to tell myself, “Nope, nope, nope.  Tomorrow is soon enough for that.”   But because I concentrate on not-work, come Tuesday morning I awake ready to face the week.


Tuesday morning my mind is refreshed.  My task list looks manageable.  My emails get my full attention.  I look forward to writing and studying and sending cards to people. I even look forward to online meetings and discussions.  Even Facebook, with all its fussing and fighting, looks better on Tuesdays.  The entire world looks like a better place.  Tuesday morning I am hopeful.


Because I am rested, on Tuesday morning I am able to remember that I do not shoulder these burdens alone. Tuesday morning it is easier to feel God’s love, and the power of the Holy Spirit, and the saving grace we receive through Christ Jesus.  On Tuesday morning I feel God’s peace and joy, which makes it easy for me to offer God’s joy and peace as a blessing on the cards I mail that day.


Thank you, God, for my Sabbath time, for the hope and peace that return to my heart during that time, and for the people around me who graciously give me that chance to rest.  And thank you for Tuesday mornings, when I awake with hope and joy and peace in my heart.  Amen

No comments: