Sunday, August 30, 2020

Now is the time for worship

 


Psalm 105:1-2. NRSV

O give thanks to the LORD, call on his name, make known his deeds among the peoples.

Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wonderful works


It is Sunday morning, and it is nearly time to go to our YouTube channel for worship.  On my gratitude list today one of the first items was being able to worship with everyone else on this Sunday morning.  I mean, I know that online worship is not the same as in person worship, but being able to just be part of the congregation on Sunday morning is seriously something to be grateful about.


When we have in person worship and I am sitting up front, I really don’t get to worship. I’m busy doing so many other things.  


I am constantly watching what is going on in the congregation.  I am looking to see who is here and running a constant body count.  (I really don’t like counting, but there’s this whole annual required record keeping thing.). I am wondering why This One isn’t sitting with That One as they usually do.  I am noticing that we haven’t seen or heard from Someone Else in a while.  I am noticing that That Guy doesn’t look like he feels well, and that That Lady can’t keep from smiling.  I am listening to the prayer requests and hoping I remember them after worship.  


I am keeping track of what comes next in the order of service.  You can tell when I am not doing that well because I will skip a part or get up to talk when it’s not my turn.   I am praying really hard the the New Presider feels good about what they are doing, because that can be pretty nerve wracking.  I am hoping the Presider reads the same translation of the Bible that I am preaching from.  I am watching to see that the Young Acolyte lights the candles without too much trouble - sometimes they are too short to reach the Christ Candle easily.  I am praying that whoever signed up for Children’s Sermon actually shows up because otherwise I have to come up with something on the fly.  (I don’t do “on the fly” well.). I am kicking myself for not having written the Pastoral Prayer in advance - again.  I am watching the slides and the Tech Guy who is in charge of making sure the next slide shows up on time.  I am anxiously going over my sermon in my head. . .


Finally, it is time for the Lord’s Supper.  I have these very few moments to breathe and pray, while I share the bread and cup with everyone present. 


And then I am on again.  Why didn’t I write out an Invitation to Discipleship?  Or a Benediction?  *sigh*


When we are worshipping online, I don’t do any of those things.  I simply worship.  I praise God.  I sing glory to God’s name.  I enjoy the Lord’s Day.


Lord, sometimes it is really hard to actually worship you.  I give thanks for the opportunities to worship that have been put in my life, through Jesus Christ, my Lord.  Amen..

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Great sermon today!